“The cooking workshops are excellent, I don’t know how Nicola manages to fit so much into each session. She lives and breaths all that she shares.”
My cooking workshops are more than a cooking class. They are a culmination of 20 years of studying, teaching and writing about cooking and eating well. I interweave my knowledge of nutrition and share cooking tips from my experience as a trained chef. I have also studied a Certificate in Adult Education (NMIT 2009), which I find invaluable for sharing my knowledge in the best possible way.
My food focus is on flavoursome recipes using everyday ingredients that are packed with nutrients, with a particular interest in traditional cooking techniques such as Sourdough Bread, Fermentation, and Home Preserving. Over the last 18 years, I have presented to over a thousand workshop participants and taught all around New Zealand including Auckland, Whangarei, Tauranga, Waikato, Napier, Palmerston North, Wairarapa, Wellington, Nelson, Blenheim, Christchurch, Hokitika, Geraldine, Dunedin, Wanaka & Queenstown.
2022 Cooking Workshops
Terms One & Two
- NELSON – Preserving the Harvest – Tuesday 1st March – 6.30 – 8.30 pm – cancelled
- ONLINE (Zoom) – Preserving & Fermentation – Saturday 12th March – 2.00 – 4.30pm – SOLD OUT
- ONLINE (Zoom) – Learn Sourdough – Saturday 7th May – 2.00 – 4.00pm – SOLD OUT
- NELSON – Art of Sourdough – Tuesday 31st May – 6.30 – 8.30 pm – BOOK HERE
- ONLINE (Zoom) – Learn Sourdough – Saturday 2nd July – 2.00 – 4.15 pm – BOOK HERE
Terms Three & Four – more workshop dates to come
- ONLINE (Zoom) – Everyday Sourdough – August date TBC – Saturday 2.00 – 4.15 pm – Register Interest HERE
- TARANAKI – 3-Hour Everyday Sourdough – November date TBC – Saturday 1.00 – 4.00 pm – Register Interest HERE
*Workshops are also tentatively planned for Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch & Marlborough. Join my Events newsletter HERE to be kept up to date. This will depend on public health and venue requirements in the coming months.
Term One 2021
- NELSON – Preserving the Harvest – Tuesday 16th February – SOLD OUT
- ONLINE WORKSHOP – Preserving & Fermentation – Saturday 6th Match – SOLD OUT
- NELSON – Art of Sourdough – Tuesday 30th March – SOLD OUT
- NELSON – Art of Sourdough – Tuesday 11th May – SOLD OUT
- WELLINGTON – Everyday Sourdough – Saturday 29th May (morning) – SOLD OUT
- WELLINGTON – Art of Sourdough – Saturday 29th May (afternoon) – SOLD OUT
- WELLINGTON – Art of Sourdough (repeat) – Sunday 30th May – SOLD OUT
- CHRISTCHURCH – Everyday Sourdough – Saturday 3rd July (morning) – SOLD OUT
- CHRISTCHURCH – Art of Sourdough – Saturday 3rd July (afternoon) – SOLD OUT
Term Three & Four
- NELSON – Everyday Sourdough – Tuesday 3rd August – SOLD OUT
- ONLINE – Learn Sourdough – Saturday 18th September – via Zoom 2.00 – 4.30 pm – SOLD OUT
- AUCKLAND – Everyday Sourdough – Saturday 18th September (morning) – Cancelled – register interest for new dates HERE
- AUCKLAND – Art of Sourdough – Saturday 18th September (afternoon) – Cancelled
- ONLINE – Learn Sourdough – Saturday 16th October – via Zoom 2.00 – 4.30 pm – SOLD OUT
- NELSON – Art of Sourdough – rescheduled to Tuesday 19th October – SOLD OUT
*Update October 2021 – due to travel and gathering restrictions my cooking workshops are on hold until 2022. I am still running online workshops + Register interest for Nelson workshops above – more locations to come, join my Events Newsletter for updates HERE.
I am also available for private small-group workshops or demonstrating at larger events, please contact me.
I have been sharing my passion for cooking and eating well since I completed my chef & nutrition studies in 2003. What initially started as small cooking classes in my home quickly grew to evening cooking classes at historic Fairfield House in Nelson. In 2006 I was invited to create and tutor a Cooking & Nutrition course for Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology (NMIT). I ran this regular 6-week course until the arrival of my first child in 2010. I reinstated my cooking workshops in early 2014 and regularly teach in Nelson and around New Zealand.
More details about the workshops
- The workshops are demonstration style, with plenty of interaction with the ingredients & food.
- Workshops will include delicious food samples and a recipe folder to take home – bring a pen to take notes.
- The Nelson workshops are run at the warm and welcoming Broccoli Row Cafe on Collingwood street with plenty of off-street parking.
- The workshops fill up fast so please book early to secure a place. If you do miss out please contact me to be added to the waiting list.
- Due to time constraints, unfortunately, I unable to offer a refund or credit if you can’t make it to a booked workshop, so please check the date carefully. However, I am happy for you to send a friend along in your place. Read the full Terms & Conditions HERE.
“Nicola delivers a clear message about eating well, with many revelations!… I like her simplicity & practical approach to cooking healthy food. Very helpful – I’m referring to the recipes all the time.”
“Nicola is obviously passionate about food and helping other people to understand why. The only negative is that the workshop was too short!”
“An excellent course, Nicola’s enthusiasm for her subject and encouragement was awesome.”
“The nutrition information added to a straightforward cooking class – it was more than I expected.”
“The course was excellent, up to date, and enthusiastically presented.”